You Know You May Be a Writer If . . .
You know you may be a writer if . . .
- you have an uncontrollable fetish with journals and writing utensils.
- a trip to the library is a highlight of your week.
- you are reading at least three books at the moment. One is to research a topic that intrigues you. One is in the genre you can see yourself writing. One is just for you.
- when a loved one asks you to watch TV, you agree because it’s important to spend time with living, breathing loved ones, and not just the darlings that are sitting on your nightstand tugging at your heart.
- on your nightstand you keep a journal, writing utensil, and flashlight. Great ideas that must be written down come before the sun.
- you get caught reading over someone’s shoulder.
- you know how some people get hangry? That’s how you feel when you haven’t had a chance to write in a few days.
- you edit your text messages
- your loved ones know that you are not hangry and send you off to write (because they are tired of your brooding).
- you keep an inspiration journal close by.
- you frequent thesaurus.com
- you love to listen to others speak, waiting for interesting phrasing. And then you hurry to that inspiration notebook to record it.
- you keep a dictaphone in your car.
- you secretly contemplate how to portray your middle school nemesis in a future story. Haha! The written word lingers forever!
- you never feel lonely if you have a book or journal with you.
- you run late in the morning because you had to write down one idea, but that idea grows and you need to see where it takes you and you have to keep writing despite the ticking clock. Then you rush through your shower because the idea percolated with the falling water and you hurry to that journal once more, dripping droplets on it (because ideas come best when its inconvenient.)
- cutting your word count by 5% is as satisfying as getting a haircut.
- you’ve been wondering if you are a author-in-waiting, but doubt yourself.
Doubt no more. Get playing with words!